Arthur eases to victory in impressive return to the ring

Arthur eases to victory in impressive return to the ring

Jamie Arthur (19-6, 4KO) recorded a clean sweep in his comeback to boxing and it almost looked like the popular Pontypridd resident had never been away.

The super-featherweight collected all six rounds in a 60-54 decision against Antonio Horvatic (8-21, 5KO) at the Newport Centre on Sanigar Events’ ‘Past Present Future’ show and will now build to a return to title fights.

In a very different style to the one Arthur operated with before his three year break, the 34-year-old glided around the edges of the ring in an attempt to tempt Horvatic to lead off. Whenever he felt his back hit the ropes, Arthur looked for an exit route, ducking and turning Horvatic to launch his own attack.

However, one Arthur trait that didn’t change was his vulnerability to cuts and he soon see his own claret again, picking up a two inch cut on his scalp, courtesy of an accidental head clash. Arthur’s first sustained attack came at the end of the second round when he trapped Horvatic in a neutral corner, keeping the visitor there with a crafty position of his shoulder.

While there’s an argument that Arthur looked better than ever, which is up for debate as he was against an opponent below the championship levels he aims to reach, it’s undoubted that the former Commonwealth Games medallist and Commonwealth professional champion certainly looked smarter than ever.

Unlike the previous versions, this Arthur didn’t go gung-ho and listened to advice from his corner, which included new trainer and former professional fighter Chris Davies, to keep the contest at length, skilfully hooking off the jab to maintain range.

By the halfway mark of the six rounder, the fleet footed Arthur was enjoying himself as he pranced around an answerless Horvatic, who has only ever won fights in his home country.

Whether it was long combinations or stepping in with single solid uppercuts, Arthur relied on his reflexes to skip in and out of range in comfort to the delight of his army of fans. Arthur did appear to momentarily rock Horvatic with straight punches in the fifth round, bloodying his nose and ramming him in to the neutral corner.

The Croatian protested his foot had been stepped on and that caused the loss of balance but it was in vain with referee Martin Williams waving the action on.

All images by Huw Fairclough. Visit for more images.

Multimag Comments

We love comments
No Comments Yet! You can be first to comment this post!

Your data will be safe! Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person. Required fields marked as *