Clev calls out Braehmer to finally fight

Clev calls out Braehmer to finally fight

On Saturday, Juergen Braehmer (46-2, 34KO) defended his WBA Regular ‘world’ title for the fourth time, stopping a spirited Robin Krasniqi (43-4, 16KO), who retired from the all-German affair after the ninth round. Analysing the action on Sky Sports, Cefn Fforest’s returning light-heavyweight Nathan Cleverly (28-2, 14KO) stated his desire to finally face Braehmer. The pair were set to meet for the southpaw’s WBO title in 2011 but the champion was stripped when he failed to face his mandatory challenger on numerous occasions – on the final occasion, Braehmer withdrew on just three days notice. The sanctioning body subsequently installed Cleverly, who was previously the ‘Interim’ belt holder during Braehmer’s ring absence due to legal troubles, as the full title owner. Cleverly successfully defended the WBO strap on five occasions, including a shut-out points victory against Krasniqi in 2013. The Welshman told presenter Ed Robinson: “Braehmer has a lot of miles on the clock; he’s 36-years old now and slows down in the second half of fights. “I want him in a world title fight, absolutely. “I had a world title defence against Krasniqi and really boxed well that night, winning easily on points and now we can gauge in comparison to Braehmer. “I’m glad he won, you could see Krasniqi had nothing left and I’m praying now he takes the fight with me. Let’s get it on once and for all. “I’m told it is a good possibility for September, I’ll fight before then in May and then hopefully move on to this fight with Braehmer. “I’m told it can really happen, I believe the fight is on the cards and let’s see what the promoters can sort out now. “I know talks have been put in place, the seed has been planted, I’m ready, but will Braehmer finally take me on? If he does I will rip that world title away from him. “I’m confident I am going to do this and become world champion again. “I think I’ll have to travel for it, Germany will be the destination, but I’m happy to do that. It’s a chance at redemption.” Meanwhile, Swansea’s former WBO world cruiserweight champion Enzo Maccarinelli (39-7, 31KO) is losing hope of securing a rematch with Braehmer. He said: “I won’t hold my breath. I think I would have had it by now.” The hard-hitters fought 11 months ago and Maccarinelli produced a brave display as he fought with a severely injured eye for five rounds before his corner called it off. Maccarinelli had been inactive since that night in Rostock until earlier this month when he stopped an overmatched Gyorgy Novak (5-3, 3KO) in 48 seconds.

Multimag Comments

We love comments
No Comments Yet! You can be first to comment this post!

Your data will be safe! Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person. Required fields marked as *