Gavin Gwynne gets ready for Welsh title shot with seventh straight win

Gavin Gwynne gets ready for Welsh title shot with seventh straight win

Last night, Trelewis’ Gavin Gwynne (7-0, 1KO) enjoyed his first opportunity to headline a show atop Sanigar Events’ ‘Land of Dragons’ promotion.

The popular lightweight earned an eight round decision victory, scored 80-73, over Newark’s always game Fonz Alexander (5-66, 3KO) at the Rhydycar Leisure Centre in Merthyr Tydfil.

“I watched him drop Kyle Jones in Merthyr and he stopped Joe Jones in Newport. So, I knew he could punch a bit,” said Gwynne in assessment. “I don’t think he was much of a banger myself like, I’ve been in with bigger punchers, but he had enough to let you know he was there and you can’t just walk in with your hands down. It was a good learning experience for me.”

Gwynne was initially scheduled to face Cardiff’s Henry Janes for the Welsh lightweight title. However, Janes suffered an injury and was forced to withdraw from yesterday’s show.

Their handlers are working towards a replacement date and a meeting on Saturday 9 December at the Newport Centre is in the pipeline with an official announcement expected soon.

“I can’t put it in to words. It would be amazing to win a Welsh title, more so for my son and bringing something back for the family,” said Gwynne. “It looks like December 9th; I’ll be fighting for the Welsh title against Henry Janes. It’s being rescheduled and I think I needed that fight [Fonz Alexander] under my belt before a 10 rounder.

He continued: “I want to bring the belt home to my little son [Arlo Gwynne] but now I’ll get my opportunity in December and I’ve got an extra fight under my belt, so it’s [the delay] worked in my favour if anything.

“I think I would’ve been a bit worried about the 10 rounds if I didn’t have the fight with Fonz. I think any fighter who says they aren’t worried doing it for the first time is lying. Now I’ve been eight rounds, it’s only an extra two rounds next time.”

On Alexander’s most recent visit to Wales, the Englishman scored a chilling knockout. After watching at ringside, Gwynne was wise to the threat and began behind his jab, moving Alexander towards the ropes.

When Alexander ventured to the edges of the ring, it was Gwynne’s cue to step in with more solid shots. Once unloaded, Gwynne was conscious not to hold his feet for too long and would skirt back towards the centre of the ring before Alexander responded.

Gwynne’s success was evident as it often sent water spraying from Alexander’s overgrown fringe, though he was also left with his own mark in the third round. An accidental clash led to a spot of swelling under Gwynne’s right eye and it was enough to keep him on his toes, deciding to return to the jab soon after.

For a tall boxer, Gwynne’s skills on the inside are impressive and they were called on in the fourth round. Alexander’s approaches were more consistent and Gwynne squeezed up his defence, before using short uppercuts and left hooks to turn away from the visitor.

Gwynne said: “Tony [Borg – trainer] wanted me to keep it a bit longer, fast shots and sink a big one in here and there, instead of four big uns and tiring myself out. It was about looking classy as I was doing my work.

“In the pro game with these longer rounds, I can’t just walk these fighters down like I did sometimes as an amateur. After six rounds, I’d be blowing out my arse. No matter how fit you are, no matter who you are, if you just throw and throw, you’re going to get tired. You’ve got to think in there and be smart. You can’t risk taking too many big shots with these small gloves.”

Gwynne began to time Alexander’s attacks in the second half of the contest onwards, resulting in clean left hook counters from long range. It was discouraging for Alexander, who would be put back in his box by the end of the rounds and have to graft to get his next foothold in the fight.

The final round saw Gwynne enjoy one last long spell of momentum on the front foot. Alexander was unable to shake him off, though had more than earned his purse with another gutsy effort and the final bell was celebrated by nearly 150 of Gwynne’s fans.

He said: “The first six rounder I did, he [Jamie Quinn] didn’t throw a lot. He threw about 20 punches, so it didn’t really help me. I’ve had harder four round spars in the gym, like. That eight rounds tonight was really tough and he took a lot of punishment, so fair play to him.

“It was a hell of a buzz in the changing rooms before the fight. I could hear everyone before I come out, it was mad and a class atmosphere. Amazing.”

Copyright – 2016. All rights reserved. You may share using the icons at the bottom of the page. Legal action will be taken against anyone who takes part of or full articles from without permission.