LIVE RESULTS: Sanigar Events – Fire and Ice undercard

LIVE RESULTS: Sanigar Events – Fire and Ice undercard are ringside at the Ice Arena Wales for Sanigar Events’ Fire and Ice show.

Keep the refresh button busy as we provide instant reports from Cardiff Bay, where 10 fights are due to take place from now until 11pm.


Lottie Quryshi

Afghanistan born Lottie Quryshi (0-1), who is now based in Cardiff, kicked off tonight’s show with a third round stoppage defeat against Northern Ireland’s Casey Blair (5-38, 1KO).

The middleweight, who is trained by St Joseph’s Tony Borg, patient approach saw him close the distance down with a steady output of jabs in the opener. His ambition was muted in the second round when he walked on to a pair of flush overhand rights from Blair and was forced to be careful up close.

Blair was smart and stayed close to his opponent in the third round. A two-fisted barrage left Quryshi stumbling around the outskirts of the ring and referee Reece Carter was forced to intervene.


Jacob Robinson

Cardiff’s quick ‘Baby’ Jacob Robinson (2-0, 1KO) continued his solid start to life as a professional boxer with a composed 40-37 points win against Stockport’s Jamie Quinn (3-57-2).

The southpaw super-bantamweight began by counter punching on the front foot, finding room to slip to Quinn’s sides and score with hooks sunk deep into the body.

The 23-year-old, son of former European and world champion Steve Robinson, impressed with his back foot skills in the second round. Quinn was keen to engage on his own terms, though was always kept under control by Robinson’s speedy footwork.

Those exchanges became more frequent in the third and fourth rounds as Quinn was more blatant in applying pressure. Robinson stayed out of danger but was forced to circle more of the ring’s surface to evade attacks.

The Welshman landed quality shots of his own in-between Quinn’s work, which were clean and clear for observers to see, especially the right hooks on the turn.


WhatsApp Image 2018-04-14 at 18.27.46

St Mellons’ Fred Evans (4-0) produced the best performance of his professional career so far with a one-way 40-36 domination of Lancashire’s William Warburton (25-132-10, 4KO).

Warburton is no stranger to troubling Welsh prospects and became a bit of a bogeyman – just ask Lewis Rees, Dale Evans and Mano Lee, who have all lost rounds to the pot shorter. However, this was not one of those occasions as Fred Evans never let the visitor launch any of his own work.

Evans, an Olympic Games and European Championships medallist in the amateurs, concerned in his last outing – a laboured single point win against journeyman Adam Jones. That performance was a polar opposite to this outing as he punched with purpose from the opening bell.

A series of jabs to Warburton’s body forced the visitor in to a retreat and the second phase, which came courtesy of straight lefts and heavy hooks to the body, kept him in reverse. It was a pattern that was never in danger of changing.

Warburton squeezed up his defence in the fourth and final round, affording Evans opportunities to pivot around the visitor’s torso and sit down on his punches, sinking in heavy hooks up and downstairs.


Kristian Touze

Swansea’s Kristian Touze (5-0-2) recovered from an early tumble to take a four-round draw with Belfast’s winless Alec Bazza (0-34-3), scored 38-38 by referee Chris Jones. criticised the fight in our preview, questioning why Touze was spending his seventh fight against an opponent who hadn’t won in 36 fights. However, Bazza justified his appearance by scoring a knockdown in the opening minute. He spent the next two minutes chasing Touze, who looked flustered by his opponent’s enthusiasm.

Touze was unable to deter Bazza’s pressure in the second round, though a couple of quick turns led the Northern Irish man to crash in to the ropes. Bazza was still landing the more hurtful shots as Touze’s own southpaw shots lacked any significant impact.

There were sharper counters landed by Touze in the third round and he took encouragement from the session. However, the southpaw’s cleaner work was sometimes suffocated amidst the pair’s frequent clinches and rabbit punches. Touze stayed a few steps away from Bazza in the fourth and final round, opting against chasing the fight when it was obviously close.


Gavin Gwynne

Trelewis’ Gavin Gwynne (9-0, 1KO) dropped and dominated Hereford’s Dean Evans (6-21-2, 4KO) to collect a wide 60-53 decision win.

The Welsh lightweight champion had been due to face Ciaran McVarnock for the vacant Celtic super-lightweight title. However, the bout fell apart and Evans stepped in on relatively short notice.

Gwynne, a very busy volume puncher, was straight down to business. A strong jab or wide left hook often started his attacks, before a meatier two-fisted phased followed. Evans appeared uncomfortable with the workrate and when he was trapped in his own corner, he was left face down halfway through the second round.

Somehow surviving Gwynne’s follow up attack, Evans was unable to evade his opponent’s longer reach, which sustained constant control. When the duo were up close, Gwynne also dominated those exchanges. For a lengthy-limbed operator, the 27-year-old’s inside game was very impressive and meant Evans had no rest to properly recover.

Referee Martin Williams warned Evans for infringements and his spoiling tactics appeared to frustrate Gwynne by the end of the fourth round. The Welshman shoved Evans off him on the final bell and his intolerance for time wasting was evident. The final two rounds were one way traffic as Gwynne chased Evans from pillar to post, capping a dominant six-round victory.


Kieran Gething

Pontypool’s Kieran Gething (5-1, 1KO) overcame the last stand of Bradley Pryce’s (38-25, 20KO) 19-year professional career to collect a clear but competitive 60-54 points victory.

Pryce promised to retire if he suffered the 25th defeat of his career. The 37-year-old was cornered by his old friend Gavin Rees, the former world champion who shared a gym with Pryce in the Team Calzaghe days. As fate would have it, last week, Rees was in the corner for another 37-year-old, Newport’s Lee Churcher, who lost and retired in the aftermath.

The welterweights traded in the middle of the ring from the start. Gething would take the care to slightly step away between exchanges, whilst Pryce always pressed ahead, keen to make a mark. Soon after, a bruise emerged under Gething’s left eye and Pryce bled more visibly from the nose.

Gething kept his shape and the composure began to pay off in the third round. A series of jabs backed Pryce up and Gething pursued with more effective straight shots. Pryce’s replies grew wider and it presented Getting’s chances to score down the pipe.

Unsurprisingly, the edge in speed belonged to the younger man who was adept in poking away with shots that disguised his more meaningful power punches. An off-balance Pryce was bleeding heavily by the fourth round and a sustained attack on the ropes left observers wondering how long it should continue.

Pryce’s toughness has never been questioned and he was calling on every ounce of the attribute in the fifth round. A reverse one-two demonstrated that Gething’s diverse arsenal and he was still surprising a gutsy Pryce in the final round.

Getting will set his sights on a fight for the Welsh welterweight title. The 24-year-old had been due to fight for the vacant belt against Mountain Ash’s Tony Dixon, who was ruled out due to an eye injury.


Nathan Thorley

Cardiff’s Nathan ‘Thunder’ Thorley (9-0, 5KO) made it 10 straight wins from 10 professional fights against Yorkshire’s Adam Jones (7-30-6, 2KO), earning a busy 79-75 decision over eight rounds.

Thorley was originally scheduled to fight Ghana’s former Commonwealth champion Charles Adamu, who was ruled out earlier this week due to visa issues. Jones, who often operates at middleweight, stepped in despite the late notice and showed why he’s regarded as one of Britain’s best journeymen.

Seemingly unaffected by the disappointment, Thorley was straight down to work. The Welsh light-heavyweight champion owned a considerable size advantage and he used it to score from range. His reach allows him to stay a safe distance away from opponents whilst also landing sharp straight rights and it was his favourite weapon in the early stages.

To Jones’ credit, he did manage to land right hands of his own. A couple of backhands to Thorley’s body, whilst the pair wrestled, had resulted in a red mark by the fourth round. The visitor was unaffected by the physical size of the challenge he faced and attempted to negate it by keeping close.

Thorley’s work became more measured in the fifth and sixth rounds. It caused Jones to hesitate and the Welshman took advantage, taking his time to repeatedly step in with stinging one-twos that caught the eye.

There was a slight swing in the final two rounds, which saw messier spells as Jones made himself a low target, squeezed up his defence and worked away with short hooks. Thorley worked away with him but his work lacked it’s earlier venom.

IMAGE BY HUW FAIRCLOUGH. For more images or to contact Huw for booking, visit his official websiteFacebookTwitter or Instagram.

Copyright – 2016. All rights reserved. You may share using the icons at the bottom of the page. Legal action will be taken against anyone who takes part of or full articles from without permission.