Live ringside reports: Sanigar Events show goes on with seven-fights in Merthyr

Live ringside reports: Sanigar Events show goes on with seven-fights in Merthyr

We’re at the Rhydycar Leisure Centre in Merthyr Tydfil for Sanigar Events’ first Welsh show of 2019.

Terrestrial broadcaster S4C pulled the plug following the cancellation of three title fights. However, we’re ringside to bring live ringside reports from the seven-fight night.

Keep refreshing this page for ringside reports as we endeavour to bring you instant updates…

1. Jake Anthony opens show with comprehensive win

Ammanford’s Jake Anthony (5-0) worked his way to a neat and tidy 40-36 decision over Surrey’s Richard Harrison (3-33) to open the show.

The middleweight has mostly had things his own way since turning professional but he was forced to use the ring in the early exchanges against Harrison, who pressed forward in the opener. Whenever backed up, Anthony used clever pivots and movement to turn defence in to attack and get around the sides of Harrison.

That creativity was also reflected in his shot selection. Anthony was encouraged by cornerman Richie Garner to look for angles and he did, slipping and countering with bunches of punches when the distance shortened. Anthony put more meat on his work in the closing stages and to Harrison’s credit, he never looked to hold or spoil the action, which included tasty body punches and uppercuts.

2. Robbie Vernon doubles his winning record

Bridgend’s Robbie Vernon (2-0) picked up a routine 40-36 decision victory against Torquay’s Adam Bannister (0-8).

The super-lightwwight, trained by Tony Borg at St Joseph’s Boxing Club in Newport, switched stances in the opening session and soon settled down behind a sharp jab. He was constant with regular straight shots and in quick pursuit of Bannister, who was almost always in retreat. The four-rounder was switched to four two-minute rounds due to a British Boxing Board of Control (BBBoC) decision.

3. Ricky Rowlands returns with TKO win

Phillipstown’s Ricky Rowlands (3-1, 1KO) ended 17 months of inactivity with a technical knockout win against Warminster’s Paul Cummings (1-31).

Strangely, this was a re-run of Rowlands’ professional debut with the same opponent at the same venue. Judging by the way the Welshman started, he didn’t plan on another points win. Rowlands landed body shots with intent and set the opportunities up with speedy jabs in the first stanza.

Rowlands relaxed more in the following rounds, edging forward with a low lead hand before winging in backhands to head and body. Cummings was frequently forced to cover up on the ropes and escaped Rowlands’ overhand right with mixed success. A burst in the fourth round wobbled Cummings and referee Reece Carter quickly intervened to call a close to the contest.

It was the super-welterweight’s first fight under new trainer Gavin Rees and the former world champion seemed happy with his new boxer’s comeback performance.

4. Kristian Touze visits sixth round for the first time

Swansea’s Kristian Touze (7-0-2) beat Edward Bjorklund (1-18-1) on points over six rounds, courtesy of a 60-54 scorecard.

The southpaw super-featherweight found his way through the six-round distance for the first time, presumably making him eligible for a Welsh title shot. There wasn’t much action of note, though Touze was undeniably the busier boxer – even entertaining the crowd with a few Ali shuffles.

5. Geraint Goodridge beaten by Bristol’s Aaron Sutton

Port Talbot’s middleweight Geraint Goodridge (2-9-3) was beaten 59-56 by Bristol’s Aaron Sutton (8-0) in a non-stop six rounder.

After a brief battle of jabs, Goodridge took the initiative with a flurry of hooks to the body. Sutton soon had his say, working away with accurate sharp shooting in-between the Welshman’s guard. Goodridge gave a strong effort to start the second round, though then had to contend with claret leaking from his nose as a result of Sutton’s straights.

They exchanged on more even terms in the third round. Goodridge manoeuvred Sutton to the ropes a handful of times and unloaded with short bursts, whilst the Englishman often replied when they stood at longer range. Amidst Goodridge’s high work rate in the fourth round, Sutton circled and extended his lead with cleaner work, introducing cute screw shots up the middle.

Goodridge threw the kitchen sink at Sutton in the final round – including a headlock that drew warning from referee Martin Williams. It was an inspired effort that forced Sutton to hold his feet and fight, matching willpower with accuracy in an entertaining final session.

6. Jake Tinklin impresses with decision win

Risca’s Jake Tinklin (2-0) battled to an impressive four round decision win over Spain’s capable Izan Dura (1-3), judged to be 40-36  on the official’s scorecard.

The lengthy super-lightweight seized the front foot and dictated range with a speedy jab. Tinklin then attempted to measure his straight rights but changed it up at the end of the opener with a well-hidden uppercut. Tinklin got closer in the second round, beginning with wide hooks and then calming down with more controlled waves of attack.

Dura enjoyed a moment of success in the third round, justifying the ambition expected from his extended ring walk. However, it only served to wake Tinklin up, who responded by pursuing the visitor with a sustained attack to fill the remainder of the session. The fourth and final round saw the stronger Tinklin control Dura’s efforts and the overall flow of the fight.

7. Morgan Jones upset on home turf against hungry Fox

Aberdare’s Morgan Jones (12-2, 5KO) was dropped and decisioned against Wiltshire’s tasty Anthony Fox (7-12-4) in a dramatic eight rounder, judged  77-76 to the visitor.

They shared a tense opener, both managing to score with the odd single, though neither issuing dominance over the other. The first meaningful shots came in the second round and from the away corner as Fox found the space for two right hands. In response, Jones pressed with more potency but still didn’t pull the trigger. That timing came in the third round, which was a more comfortable session for Jones, summarised by a clean left counter on the bell.

Jones threw with more authority in the fourth round, measuring crisp right crosses to keep Fox on the back foot. Just as it seemed under control, Fox sprung into action and severely hurt Jones in the final 30 seconds. A series of right hands over Jones’ low left hurt the Welshman and then the same type of attack dropped him heavily in the fifth round.

The sixth round seemed ominous until it began. Jones regrouped behind his jab and Fox didn’t seem to feel the urge to cause more damage, allowing Jones to briefly regain a foothold in the fight. However, it was short-lived and more damage awaited at end of seventh round. Knowing he needed to respond, Jones went for it in the eighth and final round, though it wasn’t enough to overturn the deficit in the eyes of the scoring official.

Copyright – 2016. All rights reserved. You may share using the icons at the bottom of the page. Legal action will be taken against anyone who takes part of or full articles from without permission.