LIVE RINGSIDE RESULTS: Priority Boxing hit the capital

LIVE RINGSIDE RESULTS: Priority Boxing hit the capital

Mo Prior’s Priority Boxing return to Welsh soil for a seven-fight show, featuring some of Welsh boxing’s most promising up-and-comers.

We’re ringside at the Vale Sports Arena in Cardiff and will be bringing instant results, reports and reaction as the action unfolds. So, be alert and keep refreshing your browsers to stay updated…

Maredudd Thomas kicks the action off with dominant decision

Cardiff’s Maredudd Thomas (9-0, 2KO) kicked off the show with a controlled 59-55 decision against London’s Lee Hallett (1-21) over six dominant rounds.

The chiseled welterweight cut an imposing figure from the start. Thomas stalked Hallett, tracking him down with a stream of solid jabs. A snappy uppercut and chopping left hook were enough to persuade Hallett to circle and clinch for the remainder of the opening round. There were tasty exchanges to start the second and Thomas’ power punches were again enough to discourage any hope Hallett had.

Thomas elected to counterpunch on the front foot in the third and fourth rounds, timing shots to Hallet’s midsection when the visitor overreached and causing him to wince. Hallett was cornered in the fifth and sixth rounds, though smart enough to survive and avoid an early finish as Thomas hunted with menace.

Encouragingly, there’s still more to come from Thomas but this was an impressively controlled performance, especially considering Hallett gave a good account of himself last week against Risca’s Jake Tinklin.

Craig Woodruff wipes the floor with Cantillano

Newport’s Craig Woodruff (8-5, 2KO) looked red-hot as he punished Lester Cantillano (4-32, 3KO) over four rounds, collecting a 40-35 scorecard.

The former Welsh lightweight champion made a major impression in the opening exchange and the momentum never looked in danger of reversing. Woodruff used his long levers to whip in an assortment of wide hooks and uppercuts that were often out of Cantillano’s eye line, right up until they landed.

Woodruff paid particular attention to the body in the second round and Cantillano was visibly wilting.  A left hook almost sent Cantillano flying out of the ring at the end of the session and when the ropes prevented the tumble, referee Reece Carter correctly ruled a knockdown.

Woodruff remained relaxed in the third round and was back to his best in the fourth round, all whilst appearing remarkably relaxed. Cantillano occasionally ventured forward, only to be met by meaty counter-punches and his bravery was rewarded when he heard the final bell. It was Woodruff’s first fight since Welsh title disappointment against super-lightweight champion Kieran Gething at the very same venue.

Jay Munn debuts with shutout win

Rhoose’s super-welterweight Jay Munn (1-0) debuted with a shutout 40-36 win against Blackwood’s Paul Ducie (0-13).

A patient approach was needed early on. Munn pressed ahead as Ducie instantly retreated, visiting all corners of the ring a handful of times. The southpaw journeyman almost stayed away from danger for the whole opener, only to be buzzed by a short straight right at the end of the round.

Munn briefly switched to the southpaw stance in the second round, opening the angle for left cross and sparking ‘Rhoose rhino’ chants from his large following. A left uppercut had the same effect in the third round and it was one-way traffic for Munn, who remained well balanced whilst gradually turning the screw.

The fourth and final round followed a different pattern as Munn took his turn to edge away, attempting to walk Ducie on to something heavy. Ducie obliged and occupied the space, moving Munn to the ropes where he had his own brief moments of success, though it wasn’t enough to bag the stanza.

Lance Cooksey collects every round on the cards

Rhooses’s Lance Cooksey (11-0, 2KO) banked every round against Edwin Tellez (12-56-5, 6KO), earning an easy 60-54 decision victory.

The super-featherweight began busily, always looking to close the gap and throwing bursts of quick flurries. Tellez didn’t reflect the output but he shared a similar stance and both worked away with short hooks behind their compact guards.

Cooksey became more direct in the third round and enjoyed more success. He often finished his attacks with left hooks to the body, constantly keeping Tellez turning and not allowing him to set his feet. Cooksey continued to force the pace in the fourth round and his momentum wasn’t threatened by Tellez.

The fifth and sixth rounds were fought at a less frantic speed. Cooksey turned the screw with more guile, scoring single shots from range and measuring long rights around Tellez’ defence.

Rhys Edwards visits sixth round for the first time

Tonypandy’s Rhys Edwards (7-0, 2KO) visited the sixth round for the first time as a professional, punching out a 60-54 decision win against the durable Jose Aguilar (16-66-5, 6KO).

The 19-year-old prospect has looked a special talent since turning professional and it was no different tonight. The sharp-shooting star was a box of tricks in the opening round, mixing long range power-punches with crafty pivots and uppercuts on the inside.

Aguilar appeared increasingly angry with Edwards’ success and responded with wild, albeit inaccurate, replies. Edwards accelerated, launching and landing double left hooks on a number of occasions. When Aguilar expected them, right hooks around the guard were introduced and the defending visitor was always kept guessing.

Edwards walked Aguilar down in the third round, darting into close quarters to uncork crunching blows to the body. Aguilar responded and often hit fresh air as the target swayed and ducked out of the way. The Gary Lockett-trained operator went through the gears in the fourth round, unsettling Aguilar with a variety of angles of attack.

The fifth and sixth rounds were quieter as Edwards spent more time picking his punches. Aguilar was grateful for the rest and didn’t look to claw any of the rounds back. The Welshman jabbed more, poking it between Aguilar’s arms to trigger openings and comfortably staying safe.

Jamie ‘JJ’ Evans closes the show

Cardiff’s welterweight Jamie JJ Evans (9-0) was all business as he closed the show with a six round decision win against Geiboord Omier (4-44-1, 3KO), judged to be 60-54.

The slick southpaw started feinted his way onto the front foot and established his jab early. Omier retreated and looked uncomfortable as Evans stalked with sharp straight shots, which frequently found the target.

Evans paid attention to the body in the second round and Omier responded by holding when they came close together. Soon shortening his work, Evans drilled body shots straight down the pipe to Omier’s unbalanced torso. The visitor’s complaints of low blows didn’t register with referee Chris Jones.

The length of Evans’ combinations increased in the third round. The 10-time Welsh amateur champion marched Omier around the ring with arching left hands and scored with uppercuts when they stood shoulder-to-shoulder. The flow of the fight remained in the fourth round and Evans was encouraged by cornerman Darren Wilson to up the ante.

The fifth and sixth rounds repeated the pattern set, though Omier was fortunate not to receive warnings for his blatant splint tactics. It was Evans’ most positive performance since turning professional three years ago and he looks ready to step up for a Welsh belt. Mountain Ash’s Tony Dixon currently holds the national title at welterweight.

Copyright – 2019. All rights reserved. You may share using the icons at the bottom of the page. Legal action will be taken against anyone who takes part of or full articles from without permission.