Morgan Jones climbs off the canvas to edge Jake Anthony and capture the Welsh title

Morgan Jones climbs off the canvas to edge Jake Anthony and capture the Welsh title

Aberdare’s Morgan Jones (13-2, 5KO) climbed off the canvas to capture the Welsh title with a hard-fought 97-95 decision win over Ammanford’s Jake Anthony (6-1).

The super-middleweights went back-and-forth over 10 bruising rounds and there was little to separate the pair, who entertained a packed out LC2 in Swansea and fans watching the Sanigar Events show live on terrestrial broadcaster S4C.

The duo sized each other up in the opener, both taking it in turns to edge forward but neither overcommitted. Jones jabbed more whilst Anthony looked for the body, cuffing hooks around the sides.

Anthony made a major breakthrough at the end of the second round. After two minutes of prodding and poking each other, Anthony detonated huge right hands as Jones leaned back on to the ropes. Jones was stunned and fell to his knees, bravely rising and surviving a follow up attack.

The hunt was back on in the third round. Anthony menacingly launched overhands and Jones tried to fend him off with snappy straight shots. The defence was breached again in the third round and Jones endured them with more stability.

Jones’ uppercut early in the fourth round caught the eye and he began to measure his punches with more precision. It left him open to replies but the pair were now exchanging on more even terms, much to the delight of cornerman Paul Paveltish.

The fifth round saw more success for Jones until a bad cut opened on the edge of his left eye. The cause was ruled to be an accidental head clash by referee Martin Williams. Anthony, spurred on by coach Richie Garner, could literally smell blood and was energised for the remainder of the session.

The pace slightly slowed in the following round. Both appeared more speculative and maybe welcomed the opportunity to catch a breath. Soon after in the seventh, Anthony’s power appeared to be fading and Jones came forward, taking advantage of the shift in momentum with sneaky counters up close on the inside.

From then onwards, it was Jones’ opportunity to use his experience. Seven years older and with double the amount of professional fights, he appeared more comfortable and Anthony was in new territory. To Anthony’s credit, he bit down on his gumshield and made a real effort in the eighth round, working away with a mix of arm-punches and looping overhands.

Jones enjoyed the ninth round, the only adversity coming when Anthony targeted the body but Jones controlled it and had truly turned it into a fight of two halves. The last round followed the same pattern and there was little to separate them at the final bell.

Copyright – 2019. All rights reserved. You may share using the icons at the bottom of the page. Legal action will be taken against anyone who takes part of or full articles from without permission.