LIAM WILLIAMS needed just 21 seconds to dispose of the usually durable journeyman Paul Morby with a violent two fisted attack that sent the Portsmouth super-middleweight crashing through the ropes.

As the first bell  of the bout sounded, fans at the packed Steve Sims and Gary Lockett co-promotion at the Rhondda Fach Sports Centre hardly had time to blink before Williams (11st 10lbs) had stormed across the canvas firing jabs at Morby (11st 11lbs).

After cornering Morby, Williams feinted his right hand twice and when the target still remained he committed it, landing flush on Morby’s chin. The experienced southpaw attempted to hold to Welsh 20-year-old but Williams freed his hands to land 10 unanswered hooks that almost all landed on his target to pound Morby to the floor

Referee Reece Carter immediately halted the action to give Williams, a middleweight, his first pro-career KO as he improves to 4-0, 1KO. Morby, now 6-18-1, has been used as a yard stick in the last year with points losses against Tony Jeffries, Rocky Fielding and Craig McEwan – given that fact, Williams’ performance is all the more impressive.

Lewis Rees, another former Rhondda ABC star amateur, produced a punch perfect performance as he halted Lithuanian Aleksas Vaseris with just a single second remaining of the first round.

The 22-year-old Tonypandy southpaw signaled his intent early, stalking Vaseris (10st 10lbs) on to the ropes to sink in a right body shot. When the Lithuanian wriggled free Rees (10st 8lbs) landed a right hook that stiffened Vaseris legs and from there the writing was on the wall. Rees was never more than a few feet away from Vaseris, always applying pressure – even if with just his footwork and it paid off half way through the round.

Showing ring intelligence to counter-punch on the front foot, Rees timed Vaseris’ approach to land with a superbly sharp right hook that sent the Lithuanian sprawling to the canvas. The assault continued with Rees punishing Vaseris from corner to corner but then Rees demonstrated his variety with lead-right uppercuts that snapped back Vaseris’ head. With Vaseris now being hit with a number of shots that he didn’t see coming, it soon took it’s toll as he succumb to the pressure to return to the canvas.

When he rose again, a composed Rees bided his time to whip in another right hook for a knockdown that was a carbon copy of his first and referee Clarke Joslyn correctly waved the action off for Rees to secure his fifth professional win, his fourth by stoppage. Vaseris’ record falls to 2-5-1.

If you’re going to wear bright pink in a boxing ring then you need to back it up and that’s exactly what Carmarthen’s welterweight Dale ‘Big Boy’ Evans did with a huge first round knockout of Portsmouth’s Johnny Creamer.

As both jostled to establish their jabs, it took Evans (10st 9lbs) all of 25 seconds to find his range as he rolled under a Creamer (10st, 10lbs) left hook to land his own. Creamer’s knees dipped and his balance was sent back on his heels but he regained his senses to evade the follow up attack. Not willing to concede centre ring, Creamer attempted to claim it behind his jab with some success but it was never enough to trouble Evans. It eventually led to his undoing with Evan’s stepping back to evade it and then returning with a thunderous right-left combination that took Creamer’s legs away from him.

With Creamer showing little sign of recovery, referee Reece Carter removed the Portsmouth man’s gum-shield, signalling the end of the fight to give Evans his third career win, all by knockout with one draw. Creamer slips to 2-2.

Through no fault of his own, it was a horribly frustrating night for Aberdare heavyweight Dorian Darch whose opponent Gianluca Sirci appeared to willingly disqualify himself in the second of their scheduled six rounder.

There were the customary feeling out stages in the first minute but repeated attacks from Darch (16st 9lbs) began making it uncomfortable for the travelling Italian. Having the first and last say in exchanges, Darch gave Sirci (18st, 4lbs) no option other to lean over to the side hunched over when hit. Towards the end of the round, Sirci began his holding spree and despite several warnings from referee Reece Carter it continued in to round two as Sirci pressed Darch against and almost over the ropes.

Even a point deduction couldn’t deter Sirci from bundling himself and Darch to the floor and when he rose to his feet to repeat holding offences it left the referee with no choice but to end the contest – much to the frustration of Darch and the paying public. Darch’s record goes to 6-0, 1KO while Sirci is now 4-3, 2KO.

Two time Welsh ABA heavyweight champion Lloyd Davies wasted no time in introducing himself to the cruiserweight scene with a solid second round stoppage win of Sandor Polgar on his professional debut.

Davies (14st 2lbs) was sent a few early reminders from Polgar (13st 11lbs) but the 23-year-old Welshman quickly established his physical dominance. Keeping focused behind a tight guard, Davies ducked and dodged to make his mark with scoring uppercuts from both hands and it was a right uppercut that dropped Polgar after just a minute. A follow up attack of short hooks to Polgar’s head and body saw the Hungarian fall over which was incorrectly ruled a knockdown and Polgar was forced to tuck up and hold on for the rest of the first round.

Davies didn’t let Polgar off the hook in the second round and it was a right hook to the side of the Hungarian’s head that disorientated him, before a right uppercut and half landed left hook finished him off with referee Clarke Joslyn calling a halt to proceedings. Polgar’s record dips to 2-16-1.

Some fight fans tire of seeing a novice pro in with a journeyman but if there’s one man deserving of that, it’s Tony ‘The Snake’ Pace. After some seriously hard matchmaking early in his career, you’d be able to forgive Pace if he felt lost in the home corner but it was business as usual for the 19-year-old.

Talbot Green’s Pace (10st 5lbs) faced crafty journeyman Liam Griffiths (10st 11lbs) who utilised the full book of tricks of the trade to survive four rounds of constant Pace pressure. After Pace grabbed the early attention by landing a stinging uppercut, it prompted Griffith’s to hold… a lot, which hints at the reason he hasn’t been stopped in 19 defeats.

Despite Pace’s attempts to make a fight of it, most notable with sustained body attacks, the bout never caught fire because of Griffiths’ holding that saw a point deduction for the Englishman that resulted in a 40-35 scoreline for Pace to improve his record to 3-4.

On his professional debut, Port Talbot’s standout amateur Tom Hoar (10st 2lbs) squeaked through with a points win over the deceiving Sean Gorman (10st 8lbs) from Aberystwyth. Both began the bout trading with each other at the same time and it appeared that Gorman was getting the better of the exchanges, most notably with his left hook.

Hoar forced the fight in the second stanza as Gorman laid back to pick his shots with mixed success. The closing two rounds saw Hoar establish the range and pace he needed to operate and it showcased his classy footwork. Referee Clarke Joslyn scored the bout 40-37 to Hoar to give him a 1-0 slate in the new ranks, Gorman’s misleading record now reads 2-12,1, 2KO.

In the show opener Swansea’s super-middleweight Chris Ware (11st 13lbs) recovered from the disappointment of not fighting on Paul Boyce Promotions’ show last week to outwork Telford’s Kieron Gray (11st 8lbs) to take a 40-37 win on referee Clarke Joslyn’s scorecard. 30-year-old Ware began positively, shifting his weight from right to left to change the direction of attack. Unable to keep track of where Ware was, Gray spent most of the opening exchanges clamming up – only giving Ware the body to attack.

The bout continued with similar rounds, the main differences being Gray’s bloodied nose and occasional but infrequent success that the scoring referee deemed enough to share a round. Another steady performances see’s Ware improve to 3-0, 1KO while Gray slips to 5-9-1, 1KO.

Multimag Comments

We love comments
No Comments Yet! You can be first to comment this post!

Your data will be safe! Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person. Required fields marked as *