‘Repeat Or Revenge’ undercard: Kennedy, Dixon, Osman, Jones and Darch all win

Show: Repeat Or Revenge, undercard Promoters: Sanigar Events Date: 11/07/14 Venue: Merthyr Leisure Centre The Craig Kennedy carnival continued as the Steve Robinson trained prospect improved to 9-0, 5KO with a 60-54 points victory over Remigijus Ziausys (20-58-5, 10KO). The cruiserweight is desperate for a step up in class and apart from the six rounds in the bank, he knows he’ll gain little from any more journeymen like Ziausys. In the opener, Kennedy had the unfamiliar experience of being forced to box on the back foot but it suited the 29-year-old who was able to utilise the counter-punching that he was known for in the amateurs. Kennedy walked Ziausys on to more than his fair share of backhands to the body but it was difficult to land a clean shot on the visitor’s tight guard, aided by the height of his shorts. The Welshman’s success came when he allowed Ziausys to come to close quarters, before changing angles and lifting him up with uppercuts, particularly with the left hand. Ziausys continued to apply forward, edging forward behind the occasional feint to unload brief flurries but his ambition was beginning to look like his undoing as Kennedy displayed the variety in his arsenal, most evident when he set exchange up by flicking his jab from his waist… almost John Wayne-esque. In the final two rounds, both seemed to acknowledge that it was going the distance and not too much was risked. By this point, Kennedy was certain of a sure victory and Ziausys defended for the likely reason that he has another date lined up and a stoppage defeat would stop him boxing for 28 days under British Boxing Board of Control regulations. Referee Reece Carter scored the bout 60-54 in favour of Kennedy. Tony Dixon (5-0, 1KO) collected his fifth career victory with a points decision win over game journeyman William Warburton (13-64-4, 2KO), via referee Reece Carter’s 59-56 scorecard. After spending the first three fights of his career on the road, unbeaten Dixon found himself in the unfamiliar position of the home corner for the second contest in a row and he’s beginning to build momentum. ‘The Welsh Terrier’ appeared to be frustrated in the opener as Warburton bounced around the edges of the ring, occasionally catching Dixon off balance as he overreached with predictable right hands. The pattern continued in the second stanza but Dixon broke through towards the end of the round with the right hand he’d been looking for and it sent Warburton in to full retreat for the final 30 seconds. It became more of a Dixon type of fight in the third as his pure pressure forced Warburton back in straight lines where he was able to unload with body shots, emptying Warburton’s energy levels. It suited Dixon when they were in the corners and it was made easier when he remembered that he had a jab in the fourth round. It worked in interrupting Warburton’s movement and pinning the Englishman to the outer regions of the ring where there was less space and, more importantly, less room to turn Dixon. Warburton suffered a cut above his left eye in the fifth and it was soon roughed up by Dixon’s head, a naughty tactic that was spotted by the referee who gave Dixon a stern talking to, no point was deducted though. If Warburton had any ambition of nicking a draw, it was squeezed out by round six as Dixon chased him around the ring, although not landing as cleanly as he’d have liked, and closed the contest in the ascendancy. Trelewis’ Luke Osman (4-12-1, 1KO) scored back-to-back victories for the first time in his career with a four round decision over Cardiff’s Jimmy White (0-2), via a 40-37 scorecard. It had been twelve years since White’s only professional fight but the Cardiff man wasted no time in getting down to business. Osman had advantages in height and reach but White closed him down in the opener with constant pressure, cutting Osman over his left eye. Referee Reece Carter later specified that the cut was from a head clash. White slowed in the second, allowing a composed Osman to settle at range and use his southpaw advantages, only interrupted when the doctor inspected White’s cut. White was caught waiting for too long and it was a pattern that continued. Both were bloodied and battered by the final stanza and it was the result of some excellent exchanges. Summing all of his energy, White unloaded all the shots he had, albeit arm punches, as Osman turned him to create angles for his power punches which caught they eye and had a greater effect on his opponent. In his first fight for two years, Pontypridd’s Kyle Jones (1-0) edged his debut with a 39-38 points victory over Rochdale’s Jason McArdle (2-7, 1KO) who owned an obvious size advantage and came to the contest on the back of a knockout victory. Jones was guilty of holding his hands at chest level and he was made to pay as he exited exchanges. The 20-year-old soon became aware that he’d be unable to hold his feet with McArdle and began circling McArdle to step in with counters. Realising that he was going to have to fight McArdle off, Jones sat down on his punches to begin the third and attempted to halt the visitor in his tracks. Although Jones owned the speed advantage, McArdle made sure he punched with Jones when his hands weren’t at his chin and he gave the Welshman more than a few reminders. As the four rounder progressed, Jones added the jab and straight shots which had previously been absent and allowed McArdle to walk him down. Having given himself more space,  the last round was arguably Jones’ best as he was able to find the gaps that hadn’t previously existed in McArcle’s defence and it was enough to nose in front and take his first professional victory. In the final fight of the night, Aberdare’s heavyweight Dorian Darch (8-3, 1KO) won a fun four round fight with Essex’s Tom Little (4-3), via Clarke Joslyn’s 39-36 scorecard. The Welshman looked wide open in the first round with a guard that was way too exposed. The ironically named Little was more than happy to oblige and found repeated success with his jab which put Darch on his heels and vulnerable to left hooks. However, Little suffered from complacent in the second round and Darch took advantage to wobble the Englishman and force Little to the canvas with a follow up attack. Little held on until the end of the round but the two point advantage Darch has gained with the knockdown gave Little a mountain to climb. Amongst the gobbing and goading, there wasn’t a lot to separate the heavyweights in the final two rounds but Darch made it easier for himself by giving life to his often neglected jab and it made sure that Little saw the contest out on the back foot.

Multimag Comments

We love comments
No Comments Yet! You can be first to comment this post!

Your data will be safe! Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person. Required fields marked as *